Tuesday, April 24, 2018

My New Book Part 2

In my last post, I introduced my new book, entitled The Problem-Solving, Problem-Prevention, and Decision-Making Guide and provided a chapter overview of some of the more important chapters within the book.  I explained that the cornerstone of this book are three road maps, namely problem-solving, problem-prevention, and decision-making.  In today’s post, I will introduce the first of these three road maps on problem-solving.

The figure above is the problem-solving road map which contains six major sections and seventeen individual steps to complete on the problem-solving journey.  While I will demonstrate how to complete each step, I first want to discuss two key points, the DNA of good problem-solvers and the DNA of problems in general.

The DNA of Problem Solvers
It is my belief that the truly good problem solvers in the world all share a special bond, a connection if you will, and this connection is not coincidental.  It is because of specific behaviors and character traits that true and effective problem solvers seem to all share.  I am convinced it is these traits and behaviors that separate true problem solvers from problem solving “wanna bees” or “could bees.”  If you’ve ever worked for Toyota or have been a supplier to Toyota, then you will recognize these traits and behaviors easily.  Why Toyota?  Because Toyota is the best possible example of a company that truly “gets it” as it applies to their approach to business in general and, more specifically, problem solving and prevention.

I’ve catalogued ten behaviors and personality traits that I believe are the basic genetic material shared and utilized by effective problem solvers.  I also believe that if a person or team can demonstrate and exploit these behaviors, that the opportunity to become effective and successful at problem solving will materialize.  Each of these behaviors and traits, although not listed in order of importance, serve a different purpose or function as the individual or team searches for the answer to the problem-solving conundrum.  The ten behaviors are:

1.         Being Objective
2.         Being Analytical
3.         Being Creative
4.         Having Dedication, Commitment and Perseverance
5.         Being Curious
6.         Having Courage
7.         Having A Sense of Adventure
8.         Being Enthusiastic
9.         Being Patient
10.       Being Vigilant

In my next post, I will describe each of these ten behaviors and traits in more detail.  As we go through my postings, if you have any questions for me, send me an email to ras8202@live.com.
Bob Sproull

No comments: